Ubud – Bali off the Beaten Path
When you think of Bali, you might imagine beautiful beach resorts and archaeological attractions with interesting history. The inland Bali is as interesting as its beach counterpart with exotic landscape and rich culture. If you want to see more of Bali other than the beaches, we suggest that you visit Ubud, the cultural center of Bali. Its famous attraction is the sacred Monkey Forest Park and Temple. However, there are many other activities that you can do.
Things to Do
- For outdoor adventures, you can cycling along paths through Ubud countryside, hilly paddy fields and trekking through rainforest to beautiful waterfalls, with other stops at local plantations and temples along the way. Please check out baliecocycling.com or nakbali.com for more information.
- Visit Green Village which is a local eco-community. The houses in the area are designed with sustainable principles and hand-built with artisan craftsmanship. The main material used in building is bamboo which is the versatile local plant. You can take a tour to see the extraordinary bamboo house designs, or attend a house building workshop. For more information, please see greenvillagebali.com
- Visit Bali Bird Park. This place protects and conserves many Indonesia’s endangered species as well as other species from Latin America, Africa and Australia with more than 250 species in the park. The habitats are recreated with indigenous plants to make them suitable for foreign species. Many species have been breeding successfully. See http://www.bali-bird-park.com/
Where to Stay
- Bambu Indah – eco-boutique hotel
Each house in the resort was restored from Javanese teak wood houses which are historic traditional homes built by native Indonesians hundred year ago. Bambu Indah has combined modern comforts with sustainability. Within the resort, you can enjoy natural swimming pool, spa, organic products, and a restaurant serving self-grown organic vegetables and other local food. Please check out bambuindah.com
- Hanging Gardens Ubud – luxury boutique resort
The resort locates on the hillside right in the forest of Bali where you can see the ancient Pura Penataran Dalem Segara temple. The wooden villas are built in contemporary Balinese style. One of the main facilities is the
signature heated Java
stone infinity pool overlooking the green forest. Please visit hanginggardensubud.com